Equivalent to the Weight of 61 Toyota Camry Sedans
ERLANGER, Ky. – May 26, 2010 – Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. (TEMA), Northern Kentucky Solid Waste Management Area and the Northern Kentucky Household Hazardous Waste Action Coalition, today announced results from its Household Waste Collection Day, held on Saturday, April 24.
The event assisted residents of Boone, Campbell and Kenton Counties properly dispose of unwanted, hazardous items.
• Participation from more than 1,000 residents of Boone, Campbell and Kenton Counties;
• Collection of 80,000 pounds of paint, or 10,000 gallons. This is enough to paint 20,000 Toyota Camry sedans or five Boeing 747 jets;
• Collection of 72 appliances, including refrigerators, microwaves and televisions, weighing nearly 10,000 pounds, or the equivalent of nearly three Toyota Avalons.
• Collection of 6,600 pounds of oil, or 900 gallons. This is enough oil to fill nearly 1,900 Toyota Corolla engines (based on 1.8 liter engine);
• 83,000 pounds of electronic waste, including computer monitors and keyboards, equivalent to the weight of nearly 20 Toyota Siennas.
“Our first Household Waste Collection event was a tremendous success,” said Kevin Butt, General Manager of Environmental Engineering at TEMA. “We’d like to thank our partners, volunteers, neighbors and the community for their participation. Our event demonstrated that Northern Kentucky cares about the environment and that people are willing do to the right thing for our community. Toyota is happy to do our part.”
Toyota made a $10,000 donation to the Household Hazardous Waste Action Coalition to support this event and educate residents of Northern Kentucky on other environmental programs.
Event participants included: Battery Solutions, Bluegrass Recycling, Blue Rhino, Close The Loop, Covington Reuse Center, GES, Green Metals, NKY Drug Strike Force, NKY Haz Mat/WMD Response Team and United Waste Water.
Toyota (NYSE:TM) established operations in North America in 1957 and currently operates 13 manufacturing plants. There are more than 1,800 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships in North America which sold more than 2.05 million vehicles in 2009. Toyota directly employs more than 35,000 in North America and its investment here is currently valued at more than $23 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design. Toyota's annual purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totals more than $25 billion.
Toyota currently produces 12 vehicles in North America, including the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Matrix, RAV4, Sienna, Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra, Venza and the Lexus RX 350.
# # #